5 Best Free and Open-Source Bible Study Programs for Linux and Windows
While there are many commercial Bible study programs available, there are also several very excellent free and open-source Bible study applications. They have many of the same features as their proprietary counterparts, yet they are available for free thanks to the many great open-source programmers. Below are 5 of the best open-source Bible study applications available.
Click on each one for more info, screenshots, and installation instructions for Windows and Linux (Ubuntu and openSUSE).
- Xiphos - Currently at version 3.1.5, Xiphos is one of the most feature rich and functional open-source Bible study applications available.
- BibleTime - At version 2.9.1, BibleTime is built using the SWORD programming libray to provide 200+ free Bible texts, commentaries, dictionaries and books.
- BPBible - A great program which includes a unique proximity search.
- Bible Desktop - Bible Desktop is a java application, currently at version 1.6.
- Diatheke - Geared more toworads developers, Diatheke is a command line Bible study program that is very powerful.
If there is an open-source program you would like to see added to this list, feel free to leave a comment below. Or if you know of a free, but proprietary program, please comment as well.