Exchange UM not submitting VM to Hub Transport servers
Today I was working with Exchange 2007 UM trying to get voice mails to work correctly. The problem I was having was weird because you could call the Exchange server, enter extensions, leave voice mails, but the voice mails would never actually get to the user nor would the user receive any emails about missing a call. Even calling into your mailbox to listen to your voice mails would tell you that you had none.
So I opened event viewer and found:
Event ID: 1082
The Unified Messaging server was unable to submit messages to a Hub Transport server because there is no Hub Transport server available to process the request with UM header file “%1″. Make sure that there is a Hub Transport server located in the same Active Directory site as the UM server. In addition, make sure that the Microsoft Exchange Transport service is started on the Hub Transport server.
Event ID: 1185
The Unified Messaging server was unable to submit a message to Hub Transport server “%1″ because the following error occurred: Unexpected SMTP server response. Expected: 220, actual: 500, whole response: 500 5.3.3 Unrecognized command.
So after looking out on the web for possible fixes I found places talking needing to recreate a certificate, or creating a receive connector JUST for the UM server and some other things. None of these were my problem. In my environment the Exchange Hub Transport role and the UM role were on the same server and were the ONLY ones in the environment.
What it turned out to be was the default receive connector didn’t have “Exchange Server authentication” checked. This was the only reason why it wasn’t working. Once I enabled that all the queued VM came through and everything started working!
Now if none of that worked for you then you might want to try some of the other solutions by clicking the link below. It will walk you through some suggestions of creating a new receive connector just for the UM, or making sure that the Exchange certificate is enabled for the UM role (and not showing as self-signed) or even bad records of SmtpSvc SPN in your environment.